Under the general supervision of the Program Lead, Educational Assistants provide a range of services for students with special needs which include
Personal care (this can include feeding, dressing, toileting, and mobility for those with complex needs), behaviour support and assistance with educational programs.
Educational Assistants at Let Me Be Me:
- Support programs including prescribed academic, social, recreation, arts and crafts, work experience programs.
- Guide students in the development of personal independence, self-care, and gross motor skills.
- Ensure students are following program plans and document the learner's strengths, achievements and needs through daily learning activities.
- Monitor, observe, record and report on behavioural, learning and personal patterns.
- Follow established protocol regarding administration of medicine and/or medical procedures.
- Assist with the physical safety of students and assist them with crutches or equipment, at and in the swimming pool and during exercise or play activities.
- Prepare classroom, and plan activities by gathering resources, including organizing and participating in field trips.
- Follow health and safety protocols, including daily cleaning and sterilization of equipment.
- Provide a positive role model for students and support the mission of Let Me Be Me
- Post-secondary training in a relevant field such as ECE, Education Assistant, or Community Support Worker, or sufficient experience in the skills necessary to the job.
- Demonstrated skills in basic behaviour management.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain respect for and from students.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information seen or heard
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, parents, students, and administrators.
- Ability to work with diverse learners and staff
- Physically capable to perform the duties of the role including significant standing; some walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing and pulling, including the ability to lift up to 60 lbs. Please note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to support individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
- Three supervisory references related to relevant work experience
- Current criminal record check for children and vulnerable adults
- Copies of certifications listed in resume
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and any other relevant documents you wish to initially share to our office.